May 31, 2009

Birthday with The Boss

About a week ago, I celebrated my 24th birthday. The best birthday present actually wasn't any thing, but a voicemail from my parents wishing me a great day and then telling me they had to play me a song, Bruce Springsteen's "Surprise, Surprise". The lyrics for the verses and chorus are these:

Today is your birthday we traveled so far we two
So let's blow out the candles on your cake and we'll raise a glass or two
And when the sun comes out tomorrow
It'll be the start of a brand new day
And all that you have wished for I know will come your way

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise
Yea, surprise, surprise, surprise
Well, surprise, surprise
C'mon open your eyes and let your love shine down

In the hollow of the evening, as you lay your head to rest
May the evening stars scatter a shining crown upon your breast
In the darkness of the morning as the sky struggles to light
May the rising sun caress and bless your soul for all your life


I think this birthday song was so special because it celebrated every single one of my 24 years. I grew up with Springsteen playing on every radio and car stereo. It reminds me of my dad, my mom, my brother, ten zillion car rides with the windows down, and three mind-blowing concerts (most recently just this past May 5) that I know I will never forget because they were simply that good. So, because of all these things, when I hear Bruce's name, or I listen to one of his songs, I hear something magical, something not entirely pure but still overwhelmingly good. It reminds me of me, and the people I love, and the hope for another good day -- or another good year -- and still more summer memories with the car-top down.



----------------
Now playing: Bruce Springsteen - The Wrestler
via FoxyTunes

No comments: