June 16, 2009

Let's Give Her Something to Blog About

So a running joke between my friends the Johnsons and myself is that I don't know how to blog -- in that, I've only been posting several times a month while they post every. single. day. Well, this past week, this pair certainly helped give me something to blog about. They, along with so many special people and places I hold so close to my heart, helped make an incredibly memorable, momentous week -- one that, I know I will remember for a long time to come. (Please pardon the cliche -- it's true!)

You'd think during a week in which three of seven days I was in the car for 11+ hours, I would be more preoccupied, exhausted, bored, and annoyed of all the driving and hauling and packing/unpacking than excited about sitting on my butt so many times for so long, trying to stay awake and not eat too many Cheez-its. I might have even expected the week to go that way myself. But -- without knowing if it was that the time alone in the car that allowed me time for reflection and peace, or that it gave me cabin-fever so that I savored any moment with other people, or that it simply allowed anticipation for big events to build and, eventually, spill over at the events -- the week was one of the best I've had in a long, long time, I can tell you that much.

Fortunately, I remember having my only big travel-induced mood swing the night before my first Abingdon-Chicago roadtrip (while Luke and Rudy were being such gentlemen by loading everything I own into my U-Haul -- they're such good friends to put up with me!). After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing for the week. Here's the 9-day breakdown:

Saturday 6/6: Drove from Abingdon to Chicago. Had FANTASTICALLY sunny weather, took the scenic route to Lexington, KY, through Cumberland Gap and saw my first Civil War reenactment. Successfully arrived in Lincolnshire with my U-Haul trailer in tow! Attended Natalie's Graduation/Going-Away party for Caroline and Dan in Lakeview that night and saw old high school friends for the first time in 3ish years.

Sunday 6/7: Attended Marina and Adam's wedding! Marina is my oldest friend (5th grade) - or at least the oldest with whom I still chat on a regular basis. The wedding was BEAUTIFUL, I have never seen Marina so happy, and many wonderful high school friends danced the night away with me.

Monday 6/8: Drove from Chicago to Abingdon after sleeping over at Kim's awesome apartment in Evanston. Had great weather, avoided traffic, and made good time. Arrived in Abingdon in time to join Stacy, Erin, and Molly for The Bachelorette (gotta keep watching Mike Stagliano...oh wait, I'd watch the show regardless of whether he was on it...).

Tuesday 6/9: Started closing up shop at the high schools. Had a "Farewell to Abingdon" picnic on the VA Creeper Trail, and despite the POURING rain and life-threateningly close lightning, many folks showed up to hug me good-bye, eat loads of brownies and pasta salad, and, once it lightened up, play in the sun. I'm so blessed to have each and every one of you in my life! The surprise of the night was when Jordan and Joseph, those crazy Johnsons, showed up at the picnic, having driven 3 1/2 hours from Charlottesville to say good-bye to me one last time. I love you guys.

Wednesday 6/10: Packed up my stuff at Holston and said good-bye to all the staff there. All of the lady teachers went out to beautiful Damascus and treated me to a delicious lunch :) Then, that evening, I enjoyed yet another delicious meal at Outback while celebrating Liz Jackson's (my name twin!) 18th birthday and high school graduation.

Thursday 6/11: Finished up at Patrick Henry and said my tearful good-bye to Pat, Patty, and Tina -- how much they taught me these two years! On Thursday evening, Rudy and I had our share of laughs as we packed the rest of my stuff in my car and hooked up my bike rack in the rain. Then, Rudy, Stacy, and I watched So You Think You Can Dance? and MTV (I've taught those two how to watch reality TV like pros) for several hours before I had to also say good-bye to Rudy. That night, I finally agreed to have a slumber party in Stacy's bed after she'd asked me multiple times throughout the year, and it was fantastic staying up late just talking until at least 1am.

Friday 6/12: Drove from Abingdon to Chicago once again, this time getting caught several times in construction and rush-hour traffic. Between Indianapolis and Chicago, cars were stopped so often that I decided to amuse myself with a Sally first: painting my nails in the car! They didn't even turn out half-bad! That evening, I met my parents, sister, and brother-in-law downtown at the University Club for the Rush University Medical College's Commencement Banquet. It was fabulous to honor my sister and the other graduates, and to have an excuse to get all dressed up. Hanging out in Chicago's "Harry Potter" room wasn't half-bad, either!

Saturday 6/13: Was woken up at 5a by my sister's dog who desperately needed outside. (I don't have to let her out every day, so I didn't mind the one day.) Went to Walker Bros with the parentals, the graduate, and her husband and chowed down on yummy spinach crepes and about a gallon of coffee before driving to the city for the Rush graduation at UIC. We then headed back up North to grill dinner, for which we were joined by Zach and Kristin, AND Huck and Nike. Many laughs were laughed, pictures taken, and glasses of champagne downed. A good night.

Sunday 6/14: Was woken up by the gorgeous sun -- apparently the first legit nice day in Chicagoland in a while. Picked Kim up in Evanston and headed to LaSalle Street Church for a wonderful 11a service that included one of my favorite hymns, Be Thou My Vision. After church, Kim and I wandered through the art fair in Old Town, ate a delicious sandwich lunch outside, and took advantage of traffic on the way home to chat it up even more. After dropping Kim at home, I did a little shopping and then took a short bike ride. I closed out the day by making it to bed before midnight -- amazing.

Now I can only hope the rest of the summer (what the heck? the rest of the year, too!) is as good as this week. I look forward to all the days filled with the same joy, patience, and peace I felt throughout this week!

----------------
Now playing: Bon Jovi - Who Says You Can't Go Home
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Jordan said...

What a whirwind of a week, and you've done it in style. Love the post, the pictures, and YOU!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.