September 22, 2009

Highlights From the Week

Tuesday:
Hockey, of course!

Wednesday:
Great fellowship, Bible study, girl-time, and fabulous home-made pizzas with my Wednesday night ladies.

Thursday:
Had difficult time with my 3.1 students. Much chalk-throwing and talking out of turn from some jokingly belligerent students. I had to talk to their class teacher for the first time about this...fortunately it was only my friend Patrik (who teaches history). I am definitely not the only teacher to have trouble with this class, I was happy to learn.

Some of my fellow ESIers helped me discover Taco Night at one of the Bohemia Bagel locations! These were possibly some of the best tacos that can be found in Prague, and lots of tasty, SPICY salsas and toppings were available. YUM! Curiously, we may have been the only people actually eating tacos on Taco Night...

Friday:
Went to a new gym location only to be turned away for not having an extra pair of shoes to change into. I don't know if my usual gym location is lax about this or whether it assumes you will change downstairs in the locker rooms, but this new gym took the "street shoes vs. house shoes" distinction very seriously. It only frustrated me because I of course would like to wear my oh-so-supportive gym shoes on my walk to the gym as well as in it because I of course do not own another pair. In any case, what if I want to run to the gym? What if I want to run to the gym 4 miles away? If that's the case, then I definitely don't want to do it with a bulky backpack filled with spotless shoes on my back! What got me the most this day, though, was the fact that it was perfectly nice outside; there was no rain, snow, mud, etc, to make my shoes dangerous to their equipment, and yet they still refused to let me in because I'd started my workout before I got there. I guess next time I really will have to remember to bring my other (non-existent) pair of $100 sneaks.

Okay, so post-gym catastrophe, I headed out to the Device train-station for an awesome apologetics lecture hosted by FCC. Pastor Phil had invited his friend and seminary professor to deliver a lecture on the "5 Biggest Objections to the Bible." It was an AWESOME lecture, and I definitely needed my intellectual thinking cap on for it (which I love). I will share the details of the lecture in another post.

Saturday:
Derick, an ESI teacher living in Sokolov (Western Bohemia), Czech Republic, came to visit for the weekend, and on Saturday we went to Zoo Praha! I will just say now that we had a blast, but, again, I will share in a post later this week.

Sunday:
Church x 2, plus randomly meeting a friend at a tram stop, plus going to bed nice and early = awesomeness

Monday:
Work up with the worst of a cold I'd suddenly acquired Friday morning gone. Was left with some sniffles that haven't yet left the system but are totally manageable.

Went to the gym (the regular one, with full backpack in tow that probably appeared to house more shoes...) and took a STANDING shower at the end of my workout in the ladies' locker-room. A small but wonderful luxury it was!

ESI Bible study at the boys' place in Petriny (Prague 6) ended the night. Fantastic taco salad and great "fellowship" study led by Richard were enjoyed by 7/8 of the Prague team. (David is on an outdoor trip with 12-year-old students this week! Pray for him!)

And that brings us to...
Tuesday:
Full day of classes (Tuesdays are my longest at 8 classes), during which I received an invitation to go slackroping in Letna Park this evening. So I again joined siblings Jakub, Keri, and Marketa and our awesome new friend Sarah from New Zealand to do this. Admittedly, the video is not exceptionally enthralling, but they guys it in do a lot better than I did: By hanging onto a tree branch, I think I managed to walk a totaly of four steps at the end of the night. As the sky went dark but before we left the park, we tossed around a light-up frisbee to end the night.

----------------
Now playing: Barenaked Ladies - One Week
via FoxyTunes

No comments: