September 18, 2009

Hockey with High Schoolers

This past Tuesday, I attended the Slavia Praha vs. Sparta Praha hockey match at the Slavia O2 Arena. It was my first hockey game ever, and it was quite the match! Fans were out in greater numbers because both teams are from Prague, and they were very spirited! I stood with my students in the rowdy Slavia section (who they claim is the best team, along with most of the GEKOM students), but both teams had endless chants and songs that were rehearsed throughout the game. One of the songs even went to the tune of "When the Saints Come Marching In," though when I asked Marek, one of my students, what the lyrics they were singing were, I found that they were only about Slavia and that he didn't know the song originated elsewhere.

Besides ending with a 4-2 Slavia win, the night was wonderful because I got to know two students a whole lot better. The two boys are best buds, but they are so different at the same time! They are both 17, and Marek hates beer and drunk people (something I learned that night) while Christoph loves Slavia, smoking, and just about any beer. We had lots of time to chat on the bus and tram to the arena, and I really hope we can continue our conversations again at school, pubtalks, and the Slavia-Sparta football (soccer) game they promise to take me to!

Slavia is in the red and white.




Clap, clap, clap, and wave those hands!


picture of the fan spirit going on right where I am standing. The Slavia fan club created a giant Slavia flag.


Fans on the Sparta side...something about hanging Bart Simpson and someone else...I didn't really get it.


Me, Christoph, and Marek


Slavia team with their Praha Zoo Lion mascot after the win


After the Sparta team left, the Slavia team returned to the ice to receive some fan support (more songs and cheering)


annnnnd then the players stood up to join the cheering and thank the fans for their support!

No comments: